Sunday, October 7, 2007

Pretzels!

A pack of yeast remained in my fridge which was due to expire in 1.5 weeks. Wondering if it would still be active, I put it to use on a new trial of pretzel making. Actually this is the first time I've tried to use yeast in cooking - the yeasty (for lack of better descriptor), sour smell was somehow comforting. It reminded me of making LB broth for bacterial cultures in lab. Anyhow, the dough rose in the hot Indian summer quite nicely, the pretzels were boiled 15 sec per side, and then finished off in the oven. After I make something it often doesn't seem appetizing to me, so I'm not sure if they were good or not. But fun was had. Here they are in their pre-boiled state, followed by done and awaiting toothsome trial. So yes, yeast can be refrigerated till exp date.